WHY REGISTER WITH THE AKC?
- Registration with AKC will open the door for your hound to earn an AKC Nite Champion, AKC Grand Nite Champion or AKC Supreme Grand Nite Champion title based on cast wins is in the works and will be announced soon.
- Parent breed clubs are being formed in order to move all the coonhound breeds quickly out of Foundation Stock Service registration and into full recognition in AKC. If you are happy hunting in nite hunts, showing in bench shows, or participating in water races or field trials, then FSS registration is all youll ever need. But, for those of you that enjoy showing coonhounds in the conformation ring, this is just what youve been waiting for. The more coonhounds we register this year, the sooner this will become a reality. Well be posting the parent club information soon in our special AKC sections in American Cooner and Full Cry magazines. Watch for us there each month!
- All clubs that are currently conducting UKC or PKC events will be eligible to hold AKC events after completing the application process. Your club may hold a nite hunt, bench show, field trial, and water race for one fee of $25. Thats a little more than $6.00 per event if you hold all four types of events on a single day!
ATTENTION TREEING WALKER OWNERS:
From the January 2011 Board Meeting – The Southeastern Treeing Walker Association is the official parent club for the Treeing Walker Coonhound and the Treeing Walker Coonhound will be accepted into the AKC Stud Book on December 1st, 2011. The breed will be eligible to compete in the Hound Group beginning January 1st, 2012. There will be an open registry for the breed until January 1, 2020.
ATTENTION PLOTT OWNERS:
Plotts are an approved AKC breed and as such, are not eligible for FSS registration as are other coonhound breeds that have yet to be approved. The Plott stud book has been re-opened. The stud book will remain open indefinitely. Photo's are NOT required with your application.
ATTENTION BLACK & TAN OWNERS:
The stud book for the Black and Tan Coonhound will be opened for a three-year period from June 01, 2009 through May 31, 2012. All dogs that meet the requirements and are registered through this program, as well as all subsequent generations of their offspring will receive an HX-prefix to their registration.
Those making application for registration of Black and Tan Coonhounds should note that only those dogs having a three-generation UKC Purple Ribbon-bred pedigree will be acceepted. Previously, a three-generation PKC pedigree was acceptable. The UKC pedigree requirement pertains only to dogs seeking registration with the Black and Tan breed.
ATTENTION BLUETICK OWNERS:
The Bluetick Coonhound is eligible for AKC registration on December 02, 2009 and is eligible to compete in the Hound Group in all shows held on and after December 30, 2009. There will be an open registry for the breed until January 1, 2015.
ATTENTION AMERICAN ENGLISH OWNERS:
The American English Coonhound is eligible to compete in the Miscellaneous Class effective for all shows held on and after January 01, 2010.
Registrations for this breed can be completed on FSS registration applications.
As of October 2010, the Board voted to approve the American English Coonhound to be eligible to compete in the Hound Group effective June 30, 2011 and to approve their latest standard as the standard for the breed. The breed will move from the Foundation Stock Service into the Stud Book of the American Kennel Club on June 1, 2011. AKC will maintain an open registry for the breed until July 1, 2016. When this move takes place you will no longer need to apply for registration on the the FSS green/white form, you can instead use the Open blue/white form.
ATTENTION REDBONE OWNERS:
The Redbone Coonhounds will be eligible for AKC registration and for competition in the Hound Group, effective December 30, 2009. There will be an open registry for the breed until January 1, 2015.
ATTENTION – COONHOUND CLUBS AND PARTICIPANTS:
NEW REGISTRATION POLICY AS OF JANUARY 1, 2008 FOR UNREGISTERED COONHOUNDS ENTERING AKC EVENTS.
In order for an unregistered coonhound to enter a coonhound event, the registration application MUST be taken at the time of entry by the host club. The $15 registration fee must be collected and a receipt will be provided to the entrant.
The entrant’s receipt will serve as valid proof that an AKC number has been applied for and the fee has been paid. The receipt is valid for 30 days and must be presented upon entering a coonhound event. If the receipt has expired or is not present at the time of entering, a new receipt will be issued and $15 must be collected. Any overpayments will be refunded upon valid proof.
If a copy of the pedigree is not available at the time of application, it will be noted on the receipt and one must be mailed to AKC - 8051 Arco Corp. Drive/Ste 100 Raleigh, NC 27617.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR COONHOUND WITH AKC
For faster service and added convenience, you can now register your coonhound
litter and akc litter registered pups online or even check the status of your
application! Click here to go to
AKC Online Services.
- Use the Open Registration form – Black and Tan, Plott, Bluetick, Redbone, American English. Treeing Walkers will use this form beginning on 12/1/2011. Use the Foundation Stock Service (FSS) form for Treeing Walkers up until 11/30/2011.
- Print the form and complete all the information requested on both pages. Indicate the registry (UKC or PKC) with which your coonhound is now registered and include the dogs registration number from that registry. Also include this information for the dogs sire and dam. Be sure to complete the breeder information on page two. If you were not the breeder we must have the date you acquired the dog. We must have the name of the breeder as it appears on your pedigree under Owner of Dam. If you are unsure of the breeder's address leave it blank.
- Attach a photocopy of the UKC or PKC pedigree for the dog you wish to register with FSS. Do not send the original pedigree.
When sending us your photocopy be sure the copy is legible and contains ALL information. If any portion of your pedigree is cut off during photocopying it will DELAY processing of your papers.
- Mail your application and copy of your 3 generation pedigree to:
The American Kennel Club
8051 Arco Corp. Drive/Ste 100
Raleigh, NC 27617
To request a hard copy open registration application, please email the AKC Order Desk. When sending your request we need your name, address, and number of applications you will need.
FOR COONHOUND REGISTRATION QUESTIONS CALL US TOLL FREE: